Sunday, July 25, 2010

Understanding the Liberty Building

Before I can redesign a building, it is important that I understand what already exists, and why. It was easy to do this with the cavelike Rivellino, which is rather straightforward. It was also easy to do this with the more complex Vernacular Building, which is currently set up for a variety of purposes, most notably gallery space. This ease of understanding is a result of the drawings we were given and the fact that we were able to walk through these buildings on two separate occasions.

The Liberty building, however, is the most complex of the three structures and we weren't able to do a walk-through. People live in this building, so it is harder for us to tour. The drawings we were given are floor plans labeled in Italian and marked with dimensions in the metric system. It is a very confusing building for us to understand, and each group has its own way of figuring it out.

(floor plan of the fourth floor of the Liberty Building)

I have decided to do my analysis by making a digital model of the floor plans. This will give me a strong understanding of how the building functions and how the spaces relate to each other, while also providing a digital model for future use.

(the start of my model)

It turns out that the plans are really rather straightforward, and once I get one level complete, copying it will accurately produce most of the others. The finished model will allow me to cut a section through any part in order to understand it better, and I can move walls around to where I wish to place them in my new design.

Model making is always a rather brainless process, digital or not. I am using my spare brainpower to work on the exteriors while I model. This sort of semi-conscious design-while-producing-something-else method usually works very well for me. We'll see what sort of awesomeness my subconscious ends up randomly spitting out at me this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment