Monday, July 12, 2010

Miscellaneous Annoyances (don't read if you don't like to read sound-offs)

I've been loathing it here lately. I've loved every moment I've spent on my own, but this group is driving me nuts. Some of them get all annoyed and frustrated at me when I look for those who fell behind to make sure they don't get lost, which isn't very fair to me. A few nights ago when we were sleeping in one of the buildings at our project site, some of them were so drunk that they woke me up and stole my mattress from under me. I ended up sleeping on a blanket on the floor in the attic (3 or 4 stories up) just so their loudly obnoxious drunkenness wouldn't keep me awake. Last night was the first full night's sleep I've had since the Loudest Ones have started their spree of late-night "parties" two weeks ago and last night there was a crashing thunder storm. The Loudest Ones were in a different city last night or they (not the thunder) would have kept me awake. They are so obnoxious that locals are constantly shushing them and shaking their heads. I feel like I've moved in to a co-ed frat house, and anyone who knows anything about me also knows that such a thing is equivalent to torture for me.

Thank goodness for the few others here.

Never travel in a group of 23 people you don't know very well unless you really don't care about how things will pan out.

Tomorrow I leave on a 8 to 11 day field trip depending on how many days I decide to spend in Vals, where it costs approximately $125 per night but includes admission to the world-famous thermal baths. I don't understand our teacher's approach budgeting. He seems to think we will only need to spend $1,000 on this 10-day trip. The two nights he proposes in Vals will cost 25% of that budget, and that percentage doesn't even include lunches or dinners, which will be very expensive in that area. Did I mention that he had us buy 200-dollar passes for 8 days on the Italian rail system when we really only would have spent no more than $20 each of those days, usually more like $8? Oh, and that he said they work on the fast trains, which actually cost an additional 18 euros ($20-$25) each time? This is frustrating to me to no end. I don't mind being flexible and that we never get itineraries until the day of, and I can deal with him being on average 20 minutes to 2 hours late, but being given false information that costs me money...

I am very glad that it is already the start of Week 3. There are only 6 weeks left, counting this one, and then I can be done with these people. I have no idea if our professor is a good teacher, since we have really only had two class sessions so far. I can't remember a time in my life that compares even remotely to the volume of frustration that continuously threatens to consume my heart and mind here.

1 comment:

  1. We want to wrap our arms around you and solve all your problems!
    Stefanie, Martine & Simone promise nor to steal your matress when you come. They are looking forward to your visit!
    Love, Dad & Mom

    ReplyDelete