Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Finishing up the Liberty Building

The modeling process is going slower than I had anticipated. The floor plans aren't all the same after all, and some of them (especially the roof plan) are lacking dimensions. The plans I'm working from aren't printed to scale and don't have a graphic scale printed on them, so I can't accurately measure anything from the drawings.

In order to model the building, I must first draw each of the floor plans digitally. This gives me a basis to work from. I can extrude (extend into the third dimension) any face on a floor plan, thereby giving heights to walls.

(one of the completed floor plans)

As I model each level of the building, I am able to stack the levels vertically to form the overall building. This gives me the overall picture of what is going on, especially for the exterior.

(top four stories of the six-story Liberty Building)

Now that I have a model, I can select portions of it to work with. I can move floors away from each other in order to focus my attention on one of them, or I can place a section through the building which will allow me to work on how the levels interact as opposed to looking at one level at a time.

(The blue frame is the section that I drew after separating out two stories of the building. The program shows only what is beyond the section frame, allowing me to cut a piece out of the model in order to work with it easier.)

No comments:

Post a Comment