Monday, May 24, 2010

Spring Term 2010, Week 9

I have completed my floor plans, so all I really need to do now is draw a few other views of the building and build a model or two for my presentation. That sounds simple, and in reality it is, but it will also be very time consuming.

I have been taking a flame-working class, a class in which students learn to shape glass rods with a blowtorch. It is one of many classes offered at our Craft Center. I feel it is important as a future architect to familiarize myself with as many materials as possible, and the Craft Center is a great way to do that. I've been making glass pendants for necklaces, flower and turtle sculptures, rings, and a few other things. I've finally reached a point where I feel my work is sell-able, so if anyone wants to help a college student out, let me know what you want me to make and I'll tell you if I can do it and how much it will cost you. Once I get some good pictures of my work, I'll share them here.

Going back to my project, I've decided to be a social revolutionist in my designs. As part of my leadership training, I have become aware of the fact that there are over 10 different gender identities, and that some individuals will not use public restrooms marked as "male" or "female" because it will make these individuals (or those around them) extremely uncomfortable. I have, therefore, decided to include three restrooms in my design, just as I included three locker rooms in my aquatics center project last term, which was based in San Francisco. I have a meeting set up with someone from the Pride Center who puts on seminars to promote awareness about gender issues. She will help me figure out the best way to address this in my design, as well as the best way to communicate my reasoning to a panel of judges who will, most likely, be comprised of rather traditional faculty members.

No comments:

Post a Comment